Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Centrifuge - Day Two: "Love"


This morning, I awoke suddenly to a scream that sounded like a terrified little girl.  After a moment, I realized it was me.  Apparently my back did not appreciate the miles walked and the hours of standing in various lines yesterday.  So, I decided the best thing to do was to do it all again.

My judgment of distances may be slightly off, so forgive me if I'm off by a few yards here and there, but I'm pretty sure it is 12 miles from our dorm here on the campus of beautiful Union University to the cafeteria building.  Part of the requirement, after making that Byrd-esque trek, is that you stand in line with 492 people in front of you, waiting for a lukewarm dish that began as a powder in a cardboard box labeled "Scrambled Eggs" somewhere in a pantry or maintenance shed in back of the kitchen.  It tasted like feet.

Now, in all fairness, I must admit that my recollection of the morning may be somewhat slanted due to the fact that they ran out of coffee somewhere near the 490th person in front of me.  And since I didn't get coffee for some time, I may be remembering things a bit more harshly than they naturally occurred.

In retrospect, the breakfast was actually not bad at all.  The bacon was good, and so were the biscuit and gravy.  But the eggs not so much.  I do remember that.

Today's theme was "Love" and our Adult Bible Study time focused on the story of Jonah, running from God, and allowing God's love to lead.  The question in our study guide was, "When was a time you tried to run from God and His direction for your life?"  I ran out of fingers and toes doing the math on that one.  But I have experienced the mercy and compassion of God, and my aim should be to share that love.  Even if it is with the Ninevites in my own life.  1 John 4:16 says "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.  God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."  It was a great time of reflection and study, and in a nice air-conditioned room. 

The young people began their "Track Time" today, splitting up and joining other youth for tracks like "Witnessing," "Digital Photography," "Water Games," "Aerobics," and many others.  My job was to try and get as many pictures of our kids as possible involved in those activities.  This task added approximately 132 miles to my walking today.  But the effort produced some great pictures!

Tonight we experienced a fantastic time of worship and teaching with Dove Awards New Artist of the Year winners, Sidewalk Prophets and camp pastor Sammy Knuckles.  Several young people in the audience tonight gave their hearts to Jesus and new lives began.

Our own church group time followed that as we focused in on what we had all learned in our Bible study times, our fellowship and our worship time.  Again tonight, I saw kids opening their hearts before the Lord and each other, and lifting each other up.  It's a phenomenon you have to witness first-hand to fully appreciate.  You can see the spiritual leaders of our churches tomorrow being formed before your eyes in these sessions.

A late night "County Fair" themed Nightlife program capped a long busy day at Centrifuge.  These "kids" really are fun to watch and learn from.

I'm looking forward to starting another day at 'Fuge tomorrow morning!  I think, however, I'll start the long journey to the cafeteria a bit earlier.  I'll start with coffee and bypass the scrambled feet.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I love these great reports. I almost feel like I am there, sans the walking!

    ReplyDelete