Monday, June 28, 2010

Centrifuge - Day One: "The Journey"

What is "Centrifuge"?  It's a modern version of an old tradition: church camp for young people.  Let me make this clear, however: this is NOT your father's church camp.  It IS the church camp your father wishes he had, though.

When my church's Youth Pastor, we'll call him "Lee" (because, you know, that's his name), asked if I would go to Centrifuge this year as an adult sponsor, I don't think he really knew just how old I am.  See, one thing that hasn't changed about church camp for young people is that it is mostly for young people.  It's a grueling schedule with lots of physical activity and lots of walking.  Lots and lots of walking.  So very much walking.  Nonetheless, I agreed.  I don't know why.  I love the young people at my church and I want to do what I can for them.  I didn't really think it through or it might have occurred to me that at some point during this week, the youth group may very well need to carry me.  Or at least wait with me until the ambulance arrives.

So, this morning--we'll call it Day One (because, well it's the first day and everything)--I was up at 4am, and at the church in plenty of time for the scheduled departure.  The Centrifuge camp this year is at Union University in Jackson, TN.  That's about a six hour drive from Springfield, IL.  And here I am, at around 11pm, still awake.  I say "still awake" because the pain in my feet, legs, and back won't let me sleep.  This is because I have walked the approximate equivalent of the distance BACK to Springfield today.

So, besides walking, what has transpired on this first day of Centrifuge?  Well, earlier, on the drive down here to Jackson, I threatened to throw one young person out the window of the van I was driving.  I stood in line at a Chic-Fil-A in temperature that approximated a pre-heated oven.  I babied an iced Latte from Starbucks long enough for another young person to run into my arm and knock it to the ground.  I spent an inordinate amount of time contemplating where to hide the body of that same young person.  And, in the middle of all that fun, something else happened.  Something extraordinary.

I saw over 800 young people celebrating their youth, lifting up God, and unabashedly proclaiming their faith.  I saw the young people from my church, 44 strong, work as a team to win top honors in a game that required a lot of activity, willingness to act silly, and individual effort.   I saw our young people gather in a chemistry lecture room and share very personal things from their lives that were defining moments.  "Defining Moments" happens to be the theme of this Centrifuge.  Some of these shared moments were profoundly sad.  Some were happy.  And what I heard and saw today was encouraging to me.

In a world that is increasingly cynical and discouraging, I was encouraged.  I saw young people at their best.  Better, more mature, smarter than I was at their age (all those many years ago), and more willing to lift each other up and share their burdens.

If Day One is any indication, the future of our country, all of us--we might just be alright after all.

3 comments:

  1. This is just AWESOME. Awesome writing, awesome reporting, and what an awesome experience. So glad you are sharing this, because there are plenty of us who need to be reminded of the incredibly BRIGHT future of many of our Christ-following young people. They really can make a difference. I'm encouraged as I read this, knowing that 20-something youth from our church will be leaving for their mission trip this coming Sunday. How inspiring. Keep the reports coming, will look forward to reading (even though someone else may need to type for you, as you dictate from your stretcher, as the week progresses).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith - Absolutely loved the blog! It harkens me back to my first Centrifuge experience. It was with the Cherry Hills Youth about 10 years ago in Gulf Shores... Just let down your hair and have fun! You WILL be amazed at what God has in store not just for the youth but also for you my friend. Praying you through!
    ~Tamiko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think of Super Summer in "my day". AWESOME. Thanks for sharing this. I may be crying now but laughing through the tears so that's okay.
    SK

    ReplyDelete