Thursday, July 1, 2010

Centrifuge - Day Three: "Obedience"



I would like to start this update by thanking the parents of the boys in my room (Jared Dietz, Kyle Crane, and Kyle Pettys--who, because we have so many Kyles, we call "Tucker" for some reason) for raising their kids with such good hygiene habits. Having experienced the opposite traits in teenage boys, I honestly can't thank you enough. I think that's all we need to say on that topic.
Jared and Kyle in a quiet repose after a meal

An interesting phenomenon has occurred on this third day of Centrifuge. During the night Union University officials, who have apparently been reading this blog, have moved the building that houses the cafeteria closer to our dorm!  (Yes, I allow for the possibility that I'm simply getting used to the walking, but--how boring to write about is that?)

During morning recreation time, the "adults" (hey, that's what they call us, stop laughing) participated in what is referred to as a "Trust Fall", or as I like to call it, "Do You Think I'm an Idiot with a Death Wish???"  Now, there are times when carrying a camera with a big lens can be helpful in more ways than taking good pictures.  "I can't participate in the Do You Think I'm an Idiot with a Death Wish??? fun because I have to take photos for our church...But I do get the point of the activity and I am in total agreement with the hoped-for result."

This "Trust Fall" was a bit different than the ones I have actually participated in before.  In those, one stood stiffly and simply forced oneself to lean backward until gravity could assist and then the person the Idiot with a Death Wish "trusts" catches said Idiot on the way down and helps soften the landing.  With this new and improved version, one stands on what looks to be a deer stand about a hundred feet off the ground and free-falls onto a group of adults who are as old and as out of shape as I am and who are entrusted with catching the Idiot with a Death Wish.   Enter the "I'm the photographer" excuse.

Bible study today focused on "Obedience" as the theme for the day, and the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego was the foundation.  Interesting to think that those guys not only refused to bow, but made it clear that they would not bow down even if God did not deliver them.  Compare that to the "situational obedience" we so often choose.  Lord help me to be willing to lay it all on the line, holding nothing back, and avoid the "depends on the circumstances" road that seems so much easier.

In the afternoon, I was part of the "Missions" Track Time, which included three of our young ladies (Katherine Alexander, Lauren Hennefen, and Justine Dietz).  About 30 young people boarded vans and drove off campus to a nursing home to minister to the residents.  What an awesome experience that was.  We met Miss Carolyn, a life-long resident of Jackson, and Miss Dorothy (one of my favorites simply because she shares the name of one of my grandmothers), both dear, sweet ladies.  But the amazing thing to me was watching our girls ministering to the residents there.  I would swear I could actually see them growing spiritually right before my eyes!


Union University really is a beautiful campus with a rich history (founded in 1823), and a great heritage as an institute of Christian education.  And since they were so nice to shorten my walking distance, I have to say they are extremely accommodating!  Parents, you really should make this college campus a part of your college visits for your young people.

Tonight's worship service was an anointed time of music and teaching.  I looked around me at one point and saw one of our teenage guys lost in worship, unashamedly praising God with lifted hands--not in a big, showy, "does this look right" sort of way, but truly worshiping.  I saw our teenagers singing songs of praise and making me believe that they not only knew what the words they were singing meant, but that they believed what they were singing.  What a concept, huh?  What a great teaching moment for me.



Again tonight, many lives forever changed, the Kingdom expanded, and seeds planted.  Following the service, when camp pastor Sammy Knuckles asked everyone to exit reverently and respectfully (of those still in counsel with leaders and pastors), you could have heard a pin drop.  Do you know what over 800 teenagers sounds like leaving an auditorium reverently and respectfully?  I do now.

Another great time of sharing in our Church Group time in the Chemistry class lecture room followed, with more openness from these awesome young people.  These are moments that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.  These are truly, as the theme of the camp suggests, defining moments for them.  And for me.


As for whether or not I'll survive the week, I think I'm over the hump.  I mean, teenage boys with good hygiene, and buildings closer together for less walking?  It's looking better all the time!

Heck, I might even try the eggs again tomorrow.  Nahhhhhh.  Let's not be unrealistic in our expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment