Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Centrifuge -- Final Day: "Coming Home"

Centrifuge on the last day begins with a slap-in-the-face realization that you not only had to get up really really early after going to bed really really late, but you also have to get all of your gear packed up and out to the bus before breakfast!  And I have to make sure my crew is up, packed, and ready to take all their stuff to the bus before making the hike to the cafeteria.  Cap'n Crunch will have to wait this morning.

After breakfast, the final episode of the "Morning Show" got everyone up and moving, dancing, singing, shouting, and motivated.  Let me clarify what I mean by "everyone."  While I'm certain everyone was moving, dancing, singing, shouting, and motivated on the inside, the adult leaders seemed to be having more difficulty letting those emotions and actions make the journey to the outside.  You know the saying, "if you're happy, tell your face"?  As I looked around the auditorium this morning, it was clear that many of the adults did not get that message.

I found one adult leader from another church just sitting alone at the back of the auditorium, with moist eyes and a very weird smile on his face.  He reminded me of the Riley Poole character in "National Treasure" when he found the stairs leading them out of the caverns and said, with that same look on his face, "Look. . .Stairs!"  When I asked if this adult leader was alright, he simply responded, with profound joy and relief in his voice, "Home!"

"Home," indeed.  After an incredible week of learning, sharing, growing, and yeah, a little suffering here and there, we are going home.  What are we taking with us?  Memories, some great pictures, a strange craving for real scrambled eggs, and a new view of "Defining Moments" in our lives.

LOVE.  OBEDIENCE.  SACRIFICE.  INTEGRITY.  COMMITMENT.  How do these fit into our lives?  How can we make sure they fit into our lives?  What can we do to keep ourselves grounded in God's word?

We come home with questions; we come away with answers, too; we leave Union University with renewed motivation. 

For me personally, I believe this week truly has been a "defining moment" in my life.  It was worth every inch of walking, every forkful of weird eggs.  I have a whole new view of our young people, and I like what I see.

And, in the end, I would do it again next week if I could.  I've already volunteered for next year. 

I might bring along some Pop Tarts, though.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, an amazing final chapter. Thank you for sharing the information and the feelings. You've already volunteered for next year? The phrase "glutton for punishment" somehow is in the back of my thoughts.....but the realization of the blessing you will get to have again--that's in the forefront of my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete